Reaching Out To Recruiters: Sample Scriptsby JErickson on Nov 1, 2013 • 2:41 PM71 Comments
You can reach out to recruiters on LinkedIn or email as part of your job search strategy. There are external recruiters – those who send candidates to companies – and internal recruiters – usually on the HR staff. Some companies use both, some use only one.
Reaching out to recruiters is a chancy proposition, though, because some recruiters will welcome your message while others will ignore it. External or internal, recruiters work for the client, not for you. They will not act as your representative. So don’t rest your job search success on reaching out to recruiters.
If a recruiter has a current search for which you might be a good fit, chances are they’ll want to talk with you to explore whether you are worth a fuller interview. Some recruiters will talk with you because you might be right for a client sometime in the future. And a very few recruiters will talk with you because one of their very good friends recommends you to them.
I’d start with LinkedIn, because your profile serves as your on-line resume. You don’t have to send a resume. And your message will have your title attached to your name, so if you’ve clearly articulated your field and skills, it is shorthand for a recruiter to see if s/he wants to read further. Here are some scenarios:
1. If a recruiter has looked at your LinkedIn page (and uses their name instead of being anonymous), you have an opportunity to reach out to them. Here is a script for doing so:
I saw that you visited my LinkedIn profile. Thank you. I wonder if there is any way I might be of service to you. I see that you recruit for companies that need someone with my background and skills. Is it possible for us to have a conversation about your needs and how I might be a match?
I look forward to hearing from you.
2. If you are connected to any recruiters (1st degree), you can send them a message.
I’m reaching out to explore potential opportunities you have for someone with my background and qualifications. I’m currently a [position] with [company] and am interested in exploring other positions. [if unemployed, you can say “I have expertise and experience in ____________ and am interested in exploring positions where I can add value to a company in ____________industry.)
May we schedule some time to talk about how I might be right for one of your clients?
3. You can send an InMail to recruiters you have found on LinkedIn, through the search function. To find recruiters, use the word “recruiter” and then narrow your search by location and industry using the advanced search function to the left of your screen. The message would be similar to the one above.
4. Reaching out to internal recruiters at a company is similar to reaching out to an external recruiter.
I’m writing to see if there is any way I might be of service to you and your company. I see on your company website that there are several areas in which my skills and experience could be of value to you. Is it possible for us to have a conversation about your needs and how I might be a match?
I look forward to hearing from you.
When connecting via email, you can adapt these scripts, and add more information about why you think you could help the company – essentially writing a cover letter. You’ll need to attach your resume, as well.
If a friend refers you, use that person’s name in the very first paragraph, as in “so-and-so recommended that I reach out to you for advice and guidance in my job search.”
If you don’t hear back, you can try one more time, and then stop. Don’t bug the recruiter. There may be some day in the future when s/he does have the right job for you and you want to be remembered in a positive light.
Recruiter cover letter
View this sample cover letter for a recruiter, or download the recruiter cover letter template in Word.
As a recruiter, your job is to put the right people in the right jobs—your cover letter can help do the same for you. To be considered for top recruiter jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for working with people. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a recruiter, or download the recruiter cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about human resources careers and look for recruiter jobs on Monster.
Recruiter cover letter template
Sometown, NJ 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
October 4, 2017
Mr. Steve Smith
5500 Parker St.
Sometown, NJ 55555
Dear Mr. Smith:
With substantial talent-acquisition experience spanning in-house and agency settings for candidates across a range of job functions and industries, I am the “total package hire” you are seeking for your corporate recruiter opening advertised on Monster.
I offer 15 years of experience recruiting for entry-level through C-suite executive positions, and have managed full-cycle recruiting for hundreds of exempt and non-exempt search engagements, including:
- Executive recruiting of CEOs, CFOs, COOs, CIOs and CMOs for mid-size and large companies.
- Technical and skilled trades recruiting of IT, mechanical, construction and engineering pros.
- High-volume staffing for offices, warehouses, helpdesks, call centers and hotels.
- Mid- and senior-level management recruiting for sales, marketing, operations, technology, finance and HR positions within manufacturing, banking, retail, software, pharma-tech and healthcare sectors.
Regarded as a value-adding business partner in meeting the human capital needs of my employers and client companies, I excel at working with hiring managers to define workforce needs, job requirements and ideal candidate profiles. I cost-effectively source, screen and procure right-fit candidates using industry networking, social media, applicant tracking systems (ATS) and other technology-based tools.
Backed by a BA in human resources management and training in employment law, EEO and HR best practices, I manage all phases of the selection process. My knowledge and experience includes:
- Talent Pool Diversity | Candidate Sourcing | Advanced Boolean Searches
- Résumé Screening | Reference Checks | Behavioral-Based Interviewing
- Offer Negotiations | Employment Contracts | Orientation and Onboarding
I would like to discuss ways to support ABC Company’s continued growth by delivering qualified top-quality candidates to your hiring managers. You may reach me at (555) 555-5555 or email email@example.com. Thank you.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.