“For many phenomena, 80% of consequences stem from 20% of causes.”
Joseph M. Juran
The entire universe is connected and so are the people, events, ideas. Sometimes we are aware of these connections, but in other instances, we are not. Every cause has its consequence or results even if we don’t see it at a first glance. This is the premise behind cause and effect essays. A common assignment in high school and college, cause and effect essay urges a writer to elaborate root of the idea or problem and its larger impact. This useful guide will show you how to complete one such essay easily.
The main point of this essay is to determine how various ideas or phenomena are connected to one another. A write creates a scenario where one cause generates one or more consequences and why. The paper requires a deep understanding of the subject and focuses on explaining all the “whys” and “hows”. Contrary to the common misconception, this essay doesn’t just state a cause and result but also describes how and why it took place. Why did something happen? How did it occur?
Benefits of writing a cause and effect essay
Every essay has its purpose that goes beyond the subject. Believe it or not, essay writing is a practical and effective way of improving different skills you’ll be using throughout your life. That’s why students get these assignments in the first place. Let’s take a look at skills that you develop while working on a cause and effect essay:
- Writing skills – of course, working on different assignments sharpens your writing skills and this essay is not an exception
- Organizational skills – we need to be organized in every aspect of our lives in order to get something done. Cause and effect essay improves your ability to get organized. You arrange causes and effects in a way that will keep reader’s interest and avoid creating additional confusions about the subject. While researching, you can identify a multitude of causes and effects. Good organizational skills are essential to categorize them and include into your essay properly
- Attention to details – this form of essay isn’t just about mention a cause and consequences that everyone can see, it digs deep and highlight some causal links we don’t notice easily. To do this, you need to pay attention to details. Frequent cause and effect essay writing sharpens this skill and it can only be good for you, especially in the working environment
- Objective thinking – the goal is to report a causal link between two ideas or situations without letting your emotions interfere with the way you write. Being unbiased is a great skill to adopt as it only makes you seem more authoritative and responsible
Areas of interest
Similarly to other forms of essay writing, cause and effect paper can write about everything that’s happening in the world around us. Everything you see, read, witness, hear, or experience can be turned into a discussion and, thereby a cause and effect essay. Every action has its consequences. That means you have plenty of causes (actions) and effects (consequences) to write about. Here are common categories:
- World events
- Social issues
- Relationships and marriage
- Health and medicine
Cause and effect essay outline
Quality of your cause and effect essay depends on the outline you follow. You can consider outline as the spine of your essay. Just like spine supports the body, outline supports your paper and keeps you on the right track. We have a lot to say when writing an essay and it’s easy to get off the subject. The strong outline doesn’t allow that to happen. Here’s an outline of cause and effect essay:
- Introduction – sets the tone of the essay, catches reader’s attention, and creates a sound basis for the entire paper. It provides background information that introduces the topic and finishes with a thesis statement
- Causes/effects – the central part of the essay and one can write it in many ways. You can mention causes or effects individually or causal links (causes + effects). The approach depends on the way you organize the paper or causes and effects you wish to discuss
- Conclusion – restates the topic and its importance summarizes causes and effects discussed and calls for action while explaining what could happen if we don’t act on the matter
Having to discuss some subject in a detail and mention its causes and effects may be overwhelming. Don’t worry; it’s perfectly natural to be concerned. It shows you care. Too much stress, though, is not a good thing. In order to minimize stress, you need to know all the tricks and tips that make the writing process easier, and here they are:
- Understand cause vs. effects – it is not uncommon for students to mix them up. Cause is the catalyst or the reason behind the occurrence of some event while effect is its consequence
- Research – regardless of the type of the paper, research is a must. Investigate the subject from different angles, think outside the box, and collect information that you’ll use later
- Make meaningful links – you need to explain effects by making appropriate links to causes. Their relationship has to be solid and discussed thoroughly. Avoid discussing causes and effects that have a barely noticeable link
- Quality over quantity – avoid piling causes and effects one after another. Remember, you should provide a deeper insight into their relationship and use evidence to support your claims. Quality of a cause-effect link beats quantity
- Choose the method – you can arrange causes and effects in a chronological order, based on the importance, or categorize them. Choose the approach you find most convenient
- Smooth transition – to avoid choppiness, use transition words that allow you to switch from one point to another seamlessly. Transition words for causes include: due to, because, first, since etc. Words for causes include: consequently, thereby, hence, therefore, thus
- Remember the purpose – the goal of this essay is to inform the reader about causes and effects associated with some subject, it rarely (almost never) involves persuading someone to adopt your view
- Be unbiased – you may agree or disagree with someone, like or dislike, love or hate, but you should never show it in the paper. Cause and effect essay should be unbiased or objective
- Don’t exaggerate – for a stronger impact one might feel tempted to exaggerate the effects or causes, but you need to avoid doing that. Stick to the facts only
- Evidence – it’s not enough to write “this cause has this effect”, you need evidence to support everything you write. Use reputable journals, publications, and other respected sources during this process
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
You get to choose your own cause and effect essay topic? That’s wonderful! In many cases lecturers allow students to write an essay based on a subject they choose for themselves. Some students spend hours thinking about topics they could discuss, but you don’t have to do that.
Good Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Here are great ideas for you:
- Causes of voter apathy
- What is the effect of divorce on children? Does the child’s age make any difference?
- Effects of abortion on a relationship
- Causes behind US poverty
- Causes of homelessness and its effects on society
- Effects of increasing obesity rates in the US
- Effects of stress on health
- What are the effects of violent video games on a child’s cognition and behavior?
- Causes of addition to exercise and its effects
- College dropout rates have never been higher: causes and effects
- Reasons why online shopping makes internet users spend more money
- Positive and negative effects of technology on our lives
- Effects of feminism on marriage
- Causes and effects of air pollution
- What was the effect of colonialism on Britain’s view of itself?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Relationships and family
- What causes people to cheat on each their partners.
- Effects of living together before the marriage.
- Long-term effects of growing up with a single parent.
- What is the effect of family vacations on family relationships?
- What are causes of destructive relationships between siblings?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Environment
- What is the most dangerous factor that affects the world climate changes today?
- Has human curiosity had an overall positive or negative effect on the planet?
- What effect did human curiosity in relation to our planet?
- What are causes of environmental catastrophes?
- What could be the effects of global warming on the planet?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Social issues
- What impact does frequent violence (either from war or street violence) have on a community?
- What effect makes social networks on real life communications?
- What are the causes of poverty in megalopolises?
- How lack of freedom can effect on the society?
- What are the effects of living in poor housing?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Technology
- Effects of modern technological progress on children.
- What impact has the internet on youth?
- What are effects of using modern technologies during the class work?
- How technology development affects the state of nature?
- What are causes of technological advancements in Japan?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Education
- What are causes and effects of changing a major in the middle of the studies?
- What makes a person be an excellent student?
- The causes and effects of an exam failure.
- The cause and effects of cheating at the exams.
- What are the effects of student involvement into extra-curricular activities?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Psychology
- Why has depression become one of the most wide-spread illnesses?
- What makes a person have a good mood?
- The effects of stress on students who both study and work.
- Why is good mental health no less important than physical well-being?
- What are causes and effects of having an empathy?
Topic Ideas: Health
- How does a person’s diet affect his or her health?
- Causes and effects of vaccination in teenage age.
- Effects of having smallpox in adult age.
- What are causes of long-term smoking?
- What are the causes and effect of insomnia during exam week?
Topic Ideas: Food
- Cause and effects of eating seafood.
- Effects of eating only vegetarian food.
- Why is it dangerous to eat in cheap fast food restaurants?
- Effects of eating genetically modified foods.
- What are the typical causes of loss of appetite?
Topic Ideas: Sport
- How regular workout improves the productivity of a person?
- Causes and effects of skipping physical education lessons in school.
- What are effects of doing sports professionally?
- Causes and effects of sports violence.
- What effect does doing extreme sports have?
Topic Ideas: Culture
- What is the reason of popularity of movies based on comic books?
- How listening to favorite music affect the person?
- Why are summer music festivals so popular among youth?
- How free music downloading effects the artist
- What are long-term effects of video games playing addiction?
The cause and effect essay writing doesn’t have to turn into a major struggle. You have the opportunity to make this process easy. How? It’s simple; thanks to the amazing breakthrough of technology and easy internet availability, students have access to multiple platforms and tools that simplify essay writing. Here are a few examples.
Essay topic generator
Instead of browsing Google and spending hours trying to come up with a cause and effect essay topic, you can just use Edusson Magic Help. The platform displays a multitude of topic ideas you can use to practice or write your own essay. Search by alphabet, category, most popular topics, or simply enter a keyword and you’ll see an abundance of titles that will inspire you.
Use Edusson Magic Help essay samples to see how other students wrote their own cause and effect essays. This will inspire you to write your own, recognize strengths and weaknesses, and avoid common pitfalls. With a prescription plan, you can also save some essays in the library and read them later.
Essay checker called RobotDon is a highly practical platform and the best tool a student can use when writing an essay. The software utilizes cutting-edge algorithms to analyze uniqueness and check for plagiarism. In addition, it checks sentence structure, rhythm, readability, word use, and overall quality of your paper.
Essay writing service
Professional writing service gathers an amazing team of writers who can create cause and effect essay based on your needs, deadline, word count, and other info you provide. The essay is written from scratch and made to reflect your own position on the subject.
Essay editing service
For students who just need someone to go through an essay and correct mistakes, the editing service at Edusson is the best solution. Editors and proofreaders read and correct spelling and grammar mistakes, improve your style and formatting, and enhance the overall quality of the paper
100 Best Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Writing cause and effect essays is very easy. How come? Well, most of these topics are mostly taught within a class setting. They also come with a wide variety of resources ensuring that as a student, you get the best possible resources. Getting relevant content is easy as it only requires a simple search on the internet. The key topics that you’ll come across are carefully listed below according to their different categories:
Good Cause and Effect Essay Topics Dealing With Historical Events
We have a rich history. Going back to the evolution of man and coming to latest innovations in technology, it’s clear that as humans, we have something to smile about. Here are some of the good cause and effect essay topics that you could consider:
- What Caused The Collapse Of The League Of Nations?
- What Were The Effects Of Nazism On The Jews?
- Causes Of Slavery In The 18th Century
- What Were The Consequences Of Civil War In The United States?
- What Were The Causes Of The Russian Revolution?
- What Were The Effects Of The Slave Trade In The Colonial Period?
- Reasons Why The British Colonialists Conquered The Native Americans
- What Caused The End Of Colonialism In Africa?
- Effects Of Guerrilla Warfare In Africa And South America
- Effects Of The Building Of The Berlin Wall
Popular Cause and Effect Essay Topics on Governance and Politics
Are you familiar with how the governments of different countries operate? How about the state of policy in the world? If not, these popular cause and effect essay topics will carefully guide you through:
- What Leads To The Rise In Development Of A Nation?
- What Caused The Increase Of Famous African Leaders?
- Effects Of Voting In A Country?
- What Has Led To The Growth In Democracy In Small African States?
- What Are The Consequences Of Governments Contributing To Sports In A Country?
- How Did The British System Of Government Affect Their Colonies?
- Causes And Effects Of Embezzlement Of Funds In A Country
- Reasons Which Led To The Second Lancaster House Conference
- What Caused The Rise Of Capitalism Across The World?
- What Led To The Abolishment Of Monarchical Systems Of Government?
Fun Cause and Effect Essay Topics on Economics
Is studying economics fun? Although some may find this study to be challenging, some of the fun cause and effect essay topics you’ll come across will change your mentality. They include:
- Find Out The Actual Effects Of The Global Economic Crisis Of 2008
- Dangerous Effects Of Looking For Retirement At An Early Stage
- What Were The Consequences Of The Second Industrial Revolution?
- How Did The Britain Economy Benefit From The Agrarian Revolution?
- What Are The Effects Of The Growth Of The European Union?
- What Are The Different Economic Effects Of Immigration In Britain?
- How Did The South African Economy Fair During The Apartheid Period?
- What Causes The Decrease In A Country’s Economic Progression?
- Causes And Effects Of Advertising To Improve Consumer Spending
- What Are The Reasons For The Government Partnering Up With The Private Sector?
Cause and Effect Essays Associated With Natural Sciences
Interested in how the world came into existence? Here are some of the compelling reasons on why you should learn about how man came into the fold. They are some of the easiest cause and effect essay topics you’ll come across.
- Effects Of The Discoveries Of Oil
- What Causes Earthquakes And Other Related Natural Calamities?
- Effects Of Wild Fire On Wildlife!
- What Causes The Wild Beast Migration In Parts Of Africa?
- Effects Of Improved Sea Travel
- How Has Deforestation Led To Drought And Famine For Our Wildlife?
- Evidence That The Tiger Is The Next Endangered Species
- Reasons Why People Abandoned Whale Oil
- What Are The Effects Of The Production And Sale Of Diamonds?
- Effects Of Sports Activities On The Cognitive Skills Of Growing Children
Cause and Effect Essay Topics about Animals and The Environment
Why should we protect other living things and their habitats? To answer this question, you need to look at different cause and effect essay topics about animals and the environment. They include:
- The Cause Of The Rise In Air Pollution In The City
- The Real Reason Behind The Increase In Water Contamination On Marine Life
- Effects Of An Un-Habitable Environment!
- Why Are Developing Countries Most Affected By Poor Environmental Conservation Techniques?
- Causes And Effects Of Illegal Cutting Down Of Trees!
- The Shocking Reality Behind The Falling Of Snow On Crop Production
- The Real Reason Behind The Rise Of Global Warming And How The Lives Of The People Are Affected
- Why Should We Conserve Rain Water?
- Effects Of Asbestos On The Lives Of People
- Why Are Forest Fires Turning Out To Be Quite Rampant?
Technology Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Ideas explaining the development of science are fundamental. You’ll come across different technology cause and effect essay topics, and it’s advisable to tackle as many as possible. They include:
- How Has Social Media Led To Cyber Bullying?
- Reasons Which Make Google The Leading Search Engine
- How Have Smartphones Influenced The Way We Do Work?
- The Effects Of The Rise In Social Media Use On The Arab Spring
- The Benefits Of Improved Communication In A Growing Country
- Reasons Why It’s Now Advisable To Operate An Online Business
- Why Is Watching Movies Online Growing In Popularity?
- Causes And Effects Of The Growth Of Facebook
- Here Is Why You Should Market And Sell Your Products Online!
- The Shocking Truths Behind The Sale Of Instagram To Facebook!
Cause and Effect Essay Topics for College Students and Families
Some of the attractive cause and effect essay topics for college students include those dealing with the relationships that students have both in school and at home. They look into the needs of students to provide relevant content and captivating reading materials. They are:
- Why Should You Get Your Child A Proper Education?
- The Causes Of A Divorce In A Successful Marriage
- The Rising Rate Of Single Parents Is Alarming: Here Is Why!
- Counselling Is Better Than Divorce: These Reasons Show Why
- The Growing Rate Of Sibling Rivalry Is Because Of Some Of These Reasons
- Why Are Mothers Considered To Be Better Parents?
- Causes Behind Infidelity In Marriages
- Can Working For Long Hours Affect Your Marriage?
- The Financial Status Is One Of The Reasons Affecting Several Marriages
- Causes Of Rivalry Between Children And Their Parents
Good Cause and Effect Essay Topics on Health and Nutrition
Which are some of the good cause and effect essay topics on health that you could tackle?
- Here Is Why Smoking Is More Dangerous Than Taking Alcohol
- Why Should We All Adopt A Good Morning’s Exercise
- Effects Of Increased Protein In The Body
- How Do Fruits Contribute To Improving The Body’s Immune System?
- Why Is It Recommended For Small Children To Eat A Lot Of Vegetables?
- Why Should You Keep Warm During Cold Seasons?
- How Do Ginger And Honey Heal Sore Throats?
- Why Are Allergies So Rampant Among School Going Children
- How Do Families Of Cancer Patients Suffer Emotionally?
- Why Is It Advisable To Wash Your Hands Before You Eat?
Simple Cause and Effect Essay Topics Dealing With Education
Why is education so important nowadays? Here are some of the simple cause and effect essay topics which show the need to have a good education:
- What Are The Causes Of Fewer Schools In A Country?
- Why Do Developing Countries Have High Cases Of Illiteracy?
- What Are The Effects Of Having Increased Numbers Of Teachers In Schools?
- Why Are Parents Today Taking Their Children To Private Schools?
- What Are The Consequences Of Not Educating Women In Society?
- Reasons Which Show Education Contributes To Development
- Positive Effects Of Teaching Children Use Of Language At An Early Stage
- Adverse Effects Of Corporal Punishment In Schools
- What Causes Students To Wear A Uniform To School?
- What Are Consequences Of Passing Your High School Examination?
Easy Cause and Effect Essay Topics Dealing With Social Issues
Different problems are affecting a society nowadays. Some of them are difficult others straightforward. These easy cause and effect essay topics should give you a perfect selection:
- What Are The Leading Causes Of Globalization?
- Why Are There So Many Comic Movies Today Than They Were Yesterday?
- Adverse Effects Of Buying A Pet
- What Are The Consequences Of Having An Inferiority Complex In Society?
- What Causes Some Children To Die At Birth?
- Effects Of Female Genital Mutilation In Africa
- Causes Of Early Pregnancy Among Young Girls From Developing Countries
- Effects Of Disease And Farming For Nomadic Communities
- What Causes Young Men To Join Militia Groups?
- What Were The Effects Of Intermarriages Between The Native Americans And The British Colonialists?
Cause and effect essay topics are very easy. With some of these essay ideas, you have nothing other than best resources to make you a professional essay writer. Are you now ready to start writing?
Get a 15% Discount on your first order
We always provide hot offers
Save this discount code: 15OFFJUST4U
Get The Discount